Tuesday 30 July 2013

Things I'd Tell My Teenage Self: Part 2

Hey there!

On Sunday I FINALLY published the first "Thing's I'd Tell My Teenage Self" but there was so much that I decided to turn it into a two part post. So here is my second part. If you haven't seen the first post it covered Relationships and Girls, Money and Friendship, you can read it now by clicking here!

So onto today's post. This post will cover family before going on to just general shorter bits I would tell my teenage self. To get all interactive and stuff please comment below or send a tweet to (@totalJPM) or use the hashtag #JPMTeenSelf and we can have an uber-cool discussion!

So sit back, put your reading glasses on if you need them and enjoy the post!

Family
Well this is one that can be a little strange. With family you can't choose them, you accept them. Obviously saying "accept" sounds reluctant, however that is not the way I mean it. You usually share things in common with your family, whether it be through living in the same enviroment as them or whether it's biological. But all families do have clashes from time to time and all of us may well have things we wish we could change, decisive decisions for instance. The one thing family can have over some friends is that family unconditionally look out for you in most instances, they're there to help you in that time of need. Well mine are. So yeah.

That said, we've had our fall outs. I mean there have been clashes, me and my sister can clash over what is on the television, particularly as my TV actually gets no channels since we moved to Arnold. Which sucks, but it's livable without the internet! I think that a lot of the clashes come because of an incident that I mentioned, the move to Arnold. Not gonna lie, I'm not a big fan of the north and I'm also not a big fan of being 250 miles away from the friends I made during the school days. I'm still not, but what can I do? This said when I find a day where everything seems wrong, that is ammunition that seems to come out. And in a way maybe it has stretched everyone with incidents during it. But it's not the first time we moved, it won't be the last time my parents move. Although they possibly won't have the hassle of Kaye and myself so much. One can at least hope one finds a job after Uni anyway! I think the whole point of the paragraph would be that yeah, the family stretched and I think at points that led to issues and really I'd look back at it and say, I didn't like it but maybe I should have accepted it rather than let things go to shit. I have Plymouth now, most of the year. So yeah.

I think the other thing is, my ambition for a fair part of my life was to be successful but in the country so we could have a lot of contact, however I think now I see a possible life afield from the United Kingdom. To be honest I've become more and more disillusioned with the country and I would now love to go and work abroad after Uni. However this said, my Dad has concerns that we could "not see eachother at all" if I did go to the other side of the world. Now here comes a balancing stool, I mean, do I go and put my ambition first or that concern first. As I've grown up technology has become better. I also have had conversations with other members of my family about it. I think I'd tell my teenage self, the sky's the limit. Look afield, out of the box and consider these options. Don't be held back by concerns, but find ways to deal with them, the only person who would regret not looking abroad is myself!

I would say, whatever family you have, the important thing is to be yourself, just because your whole family live somewhere doesn't mean you have to live there, just because all your family have had one profession, doesn't mean you need to be of that profession. Go where suits you, do what suits you! Just don't forget where you're from.

All of that is kinda what I'd tell myself now. But here are some short things I'd tell my teenage self:

1) Just because life has taken a shit turn, does not mean that it's the end of the world.
2) You're gonna make mistakes, so rather than cover them up and try to make the mistakes correct, face it and learn from it!
3) Go outside that comfort zone more.
4) Be ambitious, you're young, so yes, the sky is the limit.
5) Put more effort into everything, good grades are something that can be shouted about later even if its "geeky", winning something can be shouted at immediately.
6) If there is a problem deal with it don't just sit and watch it grow. This applies if it's physical, medical or emotional.
7) Going to Dr Ankers Geography class when you've made a piece of homework she's set in the 5 minutes before school is not a good idea!
8) Don't live in a bubble around yourself, friends go through shit too, maybe it's worse than your situation, be a proper friend and help them as well!
9) If something happens you're against, stand up. Regardless.
10) Be yourself and things will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment